Number of visits

Monday, December 27, 2010

Mayors expenses declaration 2010.

In keeping with my practise over the past few years, I am publishing my total expenses for 2010. 6 months of these expenses roughly are for the post of Mayor so there is a significant increase over 2009. The declaration also includes payment for membership of Co Wexford VEC.
The sums given below are the actual amounts I received. In the case of Representational Payment it is subject to tax at 40%. For the record I attended one LAMA conference in Sligo at Easter time this year (€214.16). I travelled by train so no mileage was paid to me during the year by WBC. I stayed away one night at that conference. I also attended the Birmingham Wexford Association annual dinner dance over a week end (€108.06) in early October as well as a day trip to Wales to present the Mayor’s Cup at a youth golf tournament(€80).
My expenses from Co Wexford VEC also include payment for a day seminar in Corporate governance in Tullamore. I also was paid in 2010 for mobile phone calls (€188.50)dating back to 2008. In previous years these claims were published on foot of a Freedom of Information request by local media. The figures released were gross and not net so they did not take into account taxes paid. It wasn’t noted in the media that for the 2011 estimates the Mayor’s conference allowance of €6,000 has been abolished and the Mayor will in future be treated like any other member when it comes to conference expenses.
What this information gives is what I received for being a councillor, mayor and VEC Vice chairperson. You may have expected more but that’s the lot. I know that it doesn’t ultimately matter how big or how little a councillor receives. What’s key is the accounting for monies paid.
Rounded off to the nearest euro
Representational Payment €7072.1
Monthly meeting allowance €3054
Conferences & UK travel €402.66
Mayor & councillors allowance €3990.63
Mobile phone €188.50
VEC €525.12

Total received € 15449.26

Given that I am exactly half way through the term of Mayor I expect next years figures to be roughly the same and in 2012 the payments will be close to the 2009 rate.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe,

Nice of you to be transparent, and the expenses seem very reasonable.

That said, I am opposed to the idea of local Govt representitives being paid anything but expenses.

In the IRSP we are unpaid volunteers.

Rory

Unknown said...

There is a myth that councillors get paid for everything.. Not so. I received no payment for being on any sub committee of the VEC this year nor being on the Harbour Board. I received no allowance nor expense for any of the functions that I've been invited to speak at in Wexford nor has any predecessor Mayor. Of course this won't be in the national media as there needs to be an impression of pigs snouts in the trough. Its not the case on my watch, My mayoralty costs about 75 cent per citizen.

Anonymous said...

Joe,

Like I said it was nice of you to be transparent, and the expenses seem very reasonable.

I was not getting at you.

Rory

Unknown said...

Hi Rory,
I don't think anyone os getting at me, I'm only accounting for what I was given!